The serial production of the first mass Soviet car was organized in Nizhny Novgorod in late 1932. The car was a replica of the US Ford-A Standart Phaeton 35B and looks different from it in lack of cowl lights, another logo and a different form of the front coat. The car was equipped with the GAZ-A engine at power of 40 hp, which allowed it to reach the speed of 95 km/h. The model "A" was delivered not only to the civil enterprices and institutions but to Red Army too. The Red Army had 2757 model "A" cars at the begining of 1941. There were issued 41387 model "A" cars for the period from 1932 to 1936.